Monday, July 12, 2010

McCalls M6011

I spent some time this weekend trying to finish up a few projects that have been languishing in my sewing studio for far too long. This one did *not* get completed.

McCall's M6011, View C



I began this two weeks ago and walked away when I got too frustrated to sew another stitch. I have a love/hate relationship with the fabric. It is a charmeuse satin that is lovely but sooo slippery. I couldn't get the fabric to "be still" even after pinning it within an inch of its life!

I lined it with a thrifted white cotton twin sheet that I purchased for $1. I love using thrifted sheets for my linings. I despise most lining fabrics and really like the idea of, not only recycling the sheet, but also saving my money for "real" fabric. I hoped that the cotton would help with the slipping issue and it did somewhat, but not enough.



I had a really difficult time inserting the sleeves (my least favorite sewing task). And no matter what I tried, I simply could not get the zipper to insert properly. After ripping the zipper out for the third time, I threw the dress against the wall (hence the wrinkled look) and walked away. This dress might get completed before the end of summer - then again I think I may just throw the damned thing in the trash and start over with a better behaved fabric!

No comments: