Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Drafting my Foundation Pattern

I drafted my foundation yesterday evening. It took several attempts before I got it correct but they were all silly mistakes. First I laid the chart on the paper the wrong way. Then I drew the arm and neck curves backwards! I attribute these screw ups to being a little intimidated by this system. Finally, I asked the Politician to read the instructions to me while I drafted and that ended up working out very well. I did need to refer to the illustration several times because the instructions were rather confusing. I used freezer paper from the grocer's to draft on.

My completed foundation pattern.





After I completed the foundation front and back, I was so mentally exhausted that I needed a stiff drink (but settled for a cup of Peppermint tea as the only thing I presently have in the house is the Physician's Scotch - and I won't touch that).

Today, I cut out the bodice and stitched it up. I forgot that the foundation pattern does not include ease and didn't add it to the front as I was cutting the fabric. This made the shoulder seams sit too far back. I pin fitted the bust and waist darts (not photographed) but didn't sew them. I also didn't cut and stitch the skirt because there are so many different amounts of ease in each type. And since the sundress has a full skirt, I doubt there will be any fitting issues with it.





Viewing these photos, it looks like I'm built like a linebacker!

Tomorrow I will draft the pattern for the sundress. I have several nice lengths of fabric in my stash to choose from. I mentioned yesterday that the patterns only show fabric requirements for 36 inch fabric. With math not being one of my strong suits, I found a fabric conversion table here. I was so happy to find a chart to refer to, no need to guess at yardage now.

No comments: